Being in between jobs, I decided I needed a project. I usually work with acrylic on canvas. Looking around my apartment, I found that I had neither to work with and couldn’t afford to get more. Spotting my kitchen table, I decided that this was as good a blank canvas as any. I haven’t worked with wood too much, but I remembered having a couple of old wood burners in my junk drawer. I grabbed all the supplies I could conjure up and went to work.
This took a week to make (40 hours). The most difficult part was measuring, as I’m not good at it. I know there is seemingly only room for 2 players, but I didn’t want to make the board too small. We Canadians are resourceful people. We can make it work!
I used a knife to carve out the outline before using the burner. This was a huge help to keep the chisel in place when burning it in.
Trying to show the etchings
I got caught up in what I was doing and forgot to take pictures. Here is the first coat of acrylic varnish I found under my sink.
Some strongly dislike how I blotched the stain, but I kinda like it. It looks old, rustic, used, and abused. It will also hide any future spill, wear, or tear. I’m a happy camper!