Some facts just sound too good, or too bizarre, to be true. It's funny how strange our world really is when you stop and think about it. Like, did you know there's a Banyan tree out there that's bigger than your average Walmart? Uhhh... what? How is that even possible?
2. We went to the moon before we even thought to put wheels on suitcases
4. Giraffes have the same number of neck vertebrae as humans
6. A billion seconds is about 32 years
7. Cleopatra lived closer in time to the construction of the first Pizza Hut than the pyramids
8. If you could fold a piece of paper 45 times, it would reach the moon
9. Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire
It's also older than the United States, the printing press, and technically the English language.
10. Carrots were originally purple
And surprisingly, they have more beta-carotene than their orange descendants.
11. There is more time separating the existence of the Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus Rex than Tyrannosaurus Rex and humans
Stegosaurus, a Jurassic period dinosaur, had already been extinct for approximately 80-90 million years before the appearance of the Tyrannosaurus Rex (a Cretaceous dinosaur). We're only separated by 65.5 million years.
12. There are more confirmed deaths from drowning in molasses than there are from coyote attacks
In the 1919 Boston Molasses Disaster, 21 people died, while only two fatal coyote attacks on humans have been confirmed
14. France has more time zones than the United States or Russia
France has 12 time zones, compared to the United States and Russia with 11. This is due to the number of French islands.
15. We're living in the past
About 80 milliseconds in the past, actually. Scientists have discovered that the lag between things happening and us experiencing them is approximately 80 milliseconds.