Pixar animator, football fan and aspiring paleontologist, Austin Madison, illustrated an amazing series of NFL football matchups called Fantasy Football. In the series, which went viral on Reddit yesterday, teams are depicted in epic showdowns.
Madison incorporates popular characters from video games (Skyrim and Halo) and popular culture (Star Wars, Chuck Norris, Bill Murray and the Boondock Saints) to bring the awesome battles to life.
1. Pittsburgh Steelers vs New York Giants. The Steelers and Giants squared off in week 9 (Nov. 4, 2012). Isaac Redman ran for 147 yards and the winning touchdown with 4:02 remaining as the Pittsburgh Steelers rallied past the New York Giants, 24-20.
2. Denver Broncos vs Atlanta Falcons. The Broncos and (Millennium) Falcons faced off in week 2 (Sept. 17, 2012), with Atlanta winning 27-21 as Matt Ryan threw for with 100th career touchdown pass and Peyton Manning threw for three interceptions in the first 8 minutes of the game.
3. Cincinnati Bengals vs Kansas City Chiefs. The Bengals and (Master) Chiefs faced off in week 11 (Nov. 18, 2012), with the Bengals trouncing the Chiefs 28-6. Andy Dalton threw for three TDs in the blowout win.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars vs Buffalo Bills. The Jaguars and Bills met in week 13 with the Bills winning handily 34-18. Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick orchestrated five consecutive scoring drives en route to the win.
5. Carolina Panthers vs New Orleans Saints. The Panthers and (Boondock) Saints actually played each other twice in week 2 and week 17, with Carolina winning both matchups. The Panthers won in week 2 by a score of 35-27. In week 17 they outlasted the Saints, winning 44-38.
6. San Diego Chargers vs Pittsburgh Steelers. The (iPhone) Chargers and Steelers battled in week 14 (Dec. 9, 2012) with the Chargers winning 34-24. The win was San Diego’s first in 15 regular-season visits to Pittsburgh.
7. Cincinnati Bengals vs Houston Texans. The Bengals and Texans squared off in the opening round of the playoffs (Jan. 5, 2013). The Texans, characterized here by Walker, Texas Ranger (Chuck Norris roundhouse), defeated the Bengals 19-13.
8. Chicago Bears vs Arizona Cardinals. The Bears and Cardinals played in week 16 (Dec. 23, 2012). The Bears won 28-13 sparked by two defensive touchdowns.
9. New England Patriots vs New York Jets. The Patriots and Jets played each other twice in weeks 7 and 12. The Patriots won a tight game in the first matchup 29-26, trouncing the Jets in their second meeting 49-19.
10. Green Bay Packers vs Seattle Seahawks. The Packers and Seahawks faced each other in week 3 (Sept. 24, 2012). The Seahawks won 14-12 on a highly controversial Hail Mary pass in the dying moments of the game. The Monday night game was seen as a low-point for the replacement refs.
11. Minnesota Vikings vs St. Louis Rams. Skyrim anyone? The Vikings and Rams faced off in week 15 (Dec. 16, 2012). MVP Adrian Peterson ran for 212 yards including an 82-yard touchdown, fueling a 36-22 victory.
12. Washington Redskins vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Redskins and Buccaneers met in week 4 (Sept. 30, 2012). After missing three field goals in the game, Redskins kicker Billy Cundiff redeemed himself by kicking in a 41-yd field goal with 3 seconds remaining. The Redskins won 24-22.
13. Tennessee Titans vs Miami Dolphins. The Titans and Dolphins played each other in week 10 (Nov. 11, 2012). With four takeaways and a defensive touchdown, the Titans destroyed the Dolphins 37-3. It was Miami’s most lopsided home loss since 1968.
14. Green Bay Packers vs San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers and Packers played each other in week 1 (Sept. 9, 2012) with the 49ers winning 30-22. Randy Moss caught a TD in his first action since 2010 and David Akers kicked a 63-yard field goal tying an NFL record. The teams met once more in the division round of the playoffs, as the Packers fell 45-31. Kaepernick ran for a QB playoff-record 181 yards and two touchdowns, throwing for two more scores as well. The 49ers would make it to the Superbowl, losing in the dying moments to the Baltimore Ravens.
15. Baltimore Raves vs New England Patriots.
The Ravens and Patriots played in the regular season in week 3 (Sept. 23, 2012), with the Ravens winning on a Justin Tucker field goal as time expired, avenging their AFC Championship game loss the year prior, winning 31-30. The Teams then met again in the AFC Championship game on Jan. 20, 2013 with the Ravens triumphant again, winning 28-13 en route to a Superbowl victory over the 49ers.