We are six seasons into Mad Men, and by this time, if you follow the series and its actors closely, there’s probably very little you don’t already know about them (hence, the “Might Not Know” in the headline). But there’s probably still a few nuggets about the cast you don’t know, and if you’re new to the series, many of the facts here may be new to you.
In the process of putting together this post, I actually found out a few things myself (number one blew my mind, as did the entries on the guy who plays Abe and the guy who plays Bert Cooper). Otherwise, consider it something of a compendium of Mad Men fun facts, which you can use to impress your mother, who just got into Mad Men on Netflix.
1. John Slattery, of course, is married in real life to Talia Balsam, who plays his ex-wife, Mona, on Mad Men. That makes Slattery the nephew-in-law of Dick Van Patten, which might mean something to you if you’re over the age of 35 (he was the Dad in Eight is Enough). What I didn’t realize, however, is that Talia Balsam used to be married to George Clooney.
2. Jay R. Ferguson and Vincent Kartheiser, who play Stan Rizzo and Pete Campbell respectively, were teen heartthrobs in the 1990s.
3. Vincent Kartheiser once lived ascetically: He gave away his valuable possessions, lived in Los Angeles with no car, had a small, sparse house, and decided not to have children because kids are bad for the environment. He no longer lives like that (probably because he’s engaged to Alexis Bledel, who got tired of walking around smog-polluted Los Angeles).
4. Kartheiser was also featured in Larry Clarke’s (Kids) Another Day In Paradise, where he engaged in two graphic sex scenes, one of which was cut to avoid an NC-17. If you’d like to see portions of the sex-scene that made it in the film, it’s in this NSFW Another Day in Paradise fan video.
5. Elisabeth Moss — who is a Scientologist — made her big-screen debut in Hulk Hogan’s Suburban Commando. She played “Little Girl.”
6. Moss was also in the ill-advised 1995 sequel to Escape to Witch Mountain.
Source: imgur.com buzzfeed.com