A gem tree is a small tree made of wire structure that resembles a real tree with gemstones for leaves. The tree is glued to a base of your choice, common base materials are rock, a mineral, wood, or anything else you like. There are many different styles of gem trees and each tree is unique. Very similare to small Bonsai trees, Gem Trees are ornamentally beautiful.
For your gem tree you will need:
1. 24 gauge craft wire – Wire can be found at any craft store.
2. Gemstones (easier with predrilled holes)—In order to keep stones from rolling or getting
dropped on the floor, store in a small plastic container.
3. Place mat for work area to prevent scratching your table (or you can cover the table).
4. 527 Multi purpose cement—if gluing into a dish, hot glue can be used versus the
cement but hot glue will not work for long-term use on a rock base.
5. Wire Cutters—The cutters used in these instructions are small craft wire cutters. If your
tree is large you may need heavy duty cutters that can be found at a hardware store.
6. Smooth Needle Nose Pliers – Pliers with ridges can be used, but use caution when
twisting as the wire can break.
7. Mini clamps (optional) – These can be found at any major hardware store.
8. Rubber bands – Once you have used the rubber bands to secure your tree to your base,
those rubber bands should not be used again as they become fragile with exposure to the
9. Base rock or Dish & Sand—Base rock should compliment the gemstones that you have chosen for your tree and be size appropriate. For example a small rock base would not be appropriate for a larger tree as it would become unstable.