A family was playing in the yard one afternoon when tragedy struck, without warning. Although the experience was scary, it could have been so much worse if it weren’t for a heroic dog named Chief.
We were playing tug-o-war in the backyard and Chief let go of the toy and lunged right at my feet, snarling so viciously I was scared of him. I stumbled back, fell on my rump, and by the time I looked back at Chief, he was whipping a long, thin thing back and forth violently. This was the snake that was hiding in the grass, ready to attack.
Chief didn’t hesitate attacking the serpent. The rattlesnake landed a bite, and the venom was fast-acting.
Once the family realized it was an Eastern Diamondback snake, they rushed frantically to the vet.
He had to be carried to the car. “Thankfully, the ER Vet had anti-venom/antivenin on hand. I’m not sure he would have made it without it. It ran $780 for one vial so I’m grateful he didn’t need a second dose.”
“The ER found more snake bites on him but they think they were dry bites – where the snake didn’t inject venom when it struck. He was even more lucky because the snake struck the bony part of his muzzle which meant the fangs glanced off instead of really sinking in.”