It’s hard to say whether there is any practical use for a watch anymore. The world has changed and now people have these things called smartphones that they never put away and have clocks on them. You can get a watch at Wal-Mart that will look half decent, but anyone with a decent eye will see that you’re wearing a mass-produced piece of garbage. But for those who want the Ferrari of watches, it will be more than a few thousands. Actually, it will be more than most Ferraris. Here is our list of the most expensive watches on the planet right now.
15. Patek Philippe 1953 Heures Universelles Ref 2523 – $2,900,000
The least impressive of the Patek Philippe watches on our list is also our number fifteen entry. With that said, it’s worth more than some city blocks. The dial of this gem is polychrome and enamel, and features a diagram of North America. It also features plenty of time zones and a case made of 18 karat gold. In 2006 it sold for just under $3 million at auction.
14. Piaget Emperador Temple – $3,300,000
13. Patek Philippe 1928 Single Button Chronograph and Patek Philippe Ref 2499 “Eric Clapton” – $3,600,000
Eric Clapton’s Patek Philippe was sold for $3.6 million in 2012 and has a chronograph, indicates moon phases and has a perpetual calendar. The watch is decorated with most of the parts being made with precious metals and of course 23 jewels.
12. Patek Philippe 5004T – $3,985,000
11. Patek Philippe Platinum World Time – $4,000,000
10. Louis Moinet Meteoris – $4,600,000
The Meteoris is a set of four “tourbillon” style watches (a method of watch assembly that counteracts the effect of gravity on the watch’s internal mechanism, no, I don’t understand exactly how it works). Each of these four contains material from Mars, an asteroid, the moon and a meteorite known as “Rosetta Stone”. They must be purchased as a full set, which comes with a planetarium, pictured above.
9. Breguet & Fils Paris 2667 Precision – $4,680,000
One of the finest pieces to be created after Breguet took his son into his business, the 2667 Precision pocket watch.
8. Patek Philippe Calibre 89 – $5,000,000
7. Hublot Big Bang Diamond – $5,000,000
6. Patek Philippe Reference 1527 – $5,700,000
5. Patek Philippe Henry Graves Supercomplication – $24,000,000
This technological marvel was sold at auction in 1999 for $11 million, which stands as the record for a watch sold in an auction. In late 2014, it broke its own record, selling for just over $24,000,000.
4. Chopard 201 Carat – $25,000,000
3. Jaeger-LeCoultre Joaillene 101 Manchette – $26,000,000
While it is technically considered “priceless”, estimates for its actual worth are around $26 million.
2. Breguet Grande Complication Marie-Antoinette – Estimated $30,000,000
1. Graff Diamonds Hallucination – $55,000,000