Massive 16th Century Sculpture of a Guardian Colossus, Colosso dell'Appennino
Shrouded within the park of Villa Demidoff (just north of Florence, Italy), there sits a gigantic 16th century sculpture known as Colosso dell'Appennino, or the Appennine Colossus. The brooding structure was first erected in 1580 by Italian sculptor Giambologna. Like a guardian of the pond in front of him, the giant is in an endless watchful pose, perched atop his earthy seat.
At one point, the colossal figure stood amidst a number of other bronze statues, many of which have now gone lost or stolen. The massive brick and stone structure withstood centuries in the same spot, managing to maintain its figurative composition in all that time. The park that the colossus is situated in, once built as an estate for the mistress of an Italian duke, serves as the perfect setting for the gentle giant. His presence presents a connection between man and nature. The massive size of the structure also echoes the relationship that is greater than reality. The colossus presents a surreal bond to nature.
In The park of Villa Demidoff
Всё о политике в мире