They say that the only permanent thing in the world is change. History books are one way to understand the passage of time, but there are also some real-life monuments that speak of the past in their own ways. While some of these monuments are well taken care of and protected, those that are partially or even completely run-down often are the most interesting. Here’s a selection of some of the most ghostly abandoned places around the world, every single one of which has its own special charm. Beneath all the dust, rust and cracks, there are stories of people who used to live, pray, or take their daily train rides there, and when you try to imagine these people and their lives, each picture gets a special aura of nostalgia. It’s as if the people in these places just picked up and left. On the other hand, it’s also fascinating to see how some things that used to belong to people are slowly being reclaimed by nature again. You might also remember Finnish photographer Kai Fagerström and his pictures of how wild animals were taking over abandoned houses in the woods of Finland. That’s just the natural circle of life and existence – and it sure makes for some awesome shots! Don’t these pictures just give you goose bumps?
1. I.M. Cooling Tower, Belgium
2. Kolmanskop, Namibia
3. 102-Year-Old Floating Forest in Sydney, Australia
4. The Maunsell Sea Forts, England
5. Last House on Holland Island, U.S.A
6. Pripyat, Ukraine
7. House of the Bulgarian Communist Party, Bulgaria
8. Nara Dreamland, Japan
9. Uninhabited Island in Southwest Florida, U.S.A.
10. Abandoned Mill, Italy
11. Michigan Central Station in Detroit, U.S.A.
12. Sunken Yacht, Antarctica
13. The Haunting New Bedford Orphuem, U.S.A.
14. Abandoned Train Station, Abkhazia
15. Abandoned Wooden Houses, Russia
16. Underwater City in Shicheng, China
17. The Abandoned City Hall Subway Stop in New York, U.S.A.
18. Salto Hotel, Colombia
19. Abandoned Subway Tunnel in Kiev, Ukraine
20. Abandoned Submarine Base in Balaklava, Ukraine
21. Abandoned Military Hospital in Beelitz, Germany
22. Hashima Island, Japan
23. San Zhi, Taiwan
24. Abandoned Church in the Snow