The city of Scarborough can trace its fortunes to the 17th-century discovery of a mineral spring with purportedly medicinal properties. Word spread and the spa became a fashionable tourist destination, and over the next two centuries a sequence of structures of varying impressiveness (beginning with a simple wooden terrace) overlooked the waters. With the arrival of a rail connection, the spa complex (left) was built, and then restored and expanded after a fire in the 1880s. The key difference between the pictures is the enclosure of the Sun Court in the later image. Although the Grand Hall seats 2,000, the Sun Court is an altogether more wholesome place to catch a performance by the Scarborough Spa Orchestra, who have performed there since 1912.